Nurses and Midwives shine with scholarship boost
Photo (L-R): Joe Hanlon – Gold Coast Hospital Foundation, Annita Salizzo, Liana Beaumont (front), Zoe Newton, Margaret Burton, Corrine Haugstetter (front), Mercedes Carrington, Jimjith Polakkuzhy Joseph (front), Ged Williams
The Ged Williams Nursing and Midwifery Scholarships have been awarded to 12 deserving nurses and midwives this year.
The 2020 recipients are:
- Liana Beaumont – Enrolled nurse, Gold Coast University Hospital: Vascular/Medical
- Suzanna Gent – Clinical Nurse, Gold Coast University Hospital: Infusion Therapy/Medical Imaging
- Annita Salizzo – Clinical Nurse Consultant, Gold Coast University Hospital: Renal
- Rahul Ahlawat – Registered Nurse, Gold Coast University Hospital: Surgical Specialties Inpatient Unit
- Anusuya Dhar – Registered Nurse, Gold Coast University Hospital: Integrated and Ambulatory Care Services
- Mercedes Carrington – Clinical Nurse, Robina Hospital: Emergency Department
- Shelley Hatcher – Acting Nurse Unit Manager, Gold Coast University Hospital: General Medical
- Jimjith Polakkuzhy Joseph – Registered Nurse, Gold Coast University Hospital: Mental Health
- Margaret Burton – Clinical Midwife, Gold Coast University Hospital: Women’s Family and Children
- Sonja Nolan – Clinical Nurse, Robina Health Precinct: Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Corrine Haugstetter – Nurse Practitioner Candidate/Nurse Navigator Oncology, Gold Coast University Hospital: Medical Oncology
- Zoe Newton – Clinical Care Coordinator, Gold Coast University Hospital: Surgical, Anaesthetics and Procedural Services
The Ged Williams Nursing and Midwifery Scholarships are delivered as a result of a significant donation from Professor Ged Williams who was Executive Director of Nursing and Midwifery Gold Coast Hospital Health Service (GCHHS) and Clinical Professor of Nursing, Griffith University from 2007 to 2013. During his time with Gold Coast Health and Griffith University, Professor Williams was a passionate advocate for clinical excellence, continuing education and advanced specialisation across all domains of practice.
Building on his legacy, a number of Post Registration study scholarships were available to Registered Nurses, Registered Midwives, Enrolled Nurses and Assistants in Nursing from Gold Coast Health who have completed or expected to complete study in this calendar year.
Congratulations to all recipients of this year’s program. We look forward to watching your careers grow with you commitment to patient care.